I decided to set up moblogging on planB (a movable type weblog), inspired bydanbri’s typepad one. There are probably better ways of doing it…Joi Ito has a moblogging resources page that might be useful.
I fooled around a bit with Joi Ito’s python script but didn’t know enough python to be bothered to debug the error I got (it was Saturday):
sh:~/moblog/mail2entry-2002-12-25$ cat 416D0264.jpg | python /home/libby/moblog/mail2entry-2002-12-25/mail2entry.py test /home/libby/moblog/mail2entry-2002-12-25/mail2entry.py:8: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level def main(): Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/libby/moblog/mail2entry-2002-12-25/mail2entry.py", line 50, in ? main() File "/home/libby/moblog/mail2entry-2002-12-25/mail2entry.py", line 43, in main return result UnboundLocalError: local variable 'result' referenced before assignment
Another guy had the same problem but no solution.
So then I tried Dav Coleman’s perl version. It requires XMLRPC::Lite and MIME::Explode; they were both on the system I was using. I commented out the japanese text bits and the system calls to java etc.
I have an account that can recieve mail on the same machine as my blog. I don’t know whether it needs to be – the perl program uses XMLPRC to post to the blog.
So, in order, this is what I did.
- created an email alias on the machine. I could have used my default one, but figured better to make it a bit more secret. Just knowing the mail address wouldn’t allow anyone else to post though.
- got the perl prgram, made sure XMLRPC::Lite and MIME::Explode were installed
- edited out the ‘system’ calls and japanese bits I didn’t need
with help from shellac, installed procmail and wrote a .procmailrc file in my home directory:
:0: * ^FROM: .*theemailaddrfrommyphone |/home/libby/moblog/perl/blogpost.pl
- set up a new username and password for my blog and found out a bunch of information I needed
created .blogpostrc file in my home fdirectory, looking like this (following the instructions in the perl file)
blogurl = http://planb.nicecupoftea.org blogxmlrpc = http://rdfweb.org/mtcgi/mt-xmlrpc.cgi blogimgurl = https://planb.nicecupoftea.org/archives/images subdir = default output_dir = /usr/local/apache/htdocs/archives/images bloguser = username blogpass = pwd blogid = 5 defaulttitle = new post from cell phone defaultbody = defaultcategory = 28
- tested it by mailing myself a picture from my phone
Fiddling with the actual perl code (to process text atachments), it was easier just to pipe a saved message to procmail manually: cat msg | procmail
And bingo – it worked. I’m going to set up a new blog specicically for pictures. And then I want to be able to parse RDF somehow out of the text attachments.