Web Unperson

A couple of times this week people pinged me to say their browser was reporting my site as a phisher like this. I thought little of it since we’d been hacked before on Dreamhost and WordPress and asssumed we had got on a blacklist somewhere. I rechecked the site, couldn’t find anything, and reported it as an error.

Last night though I found that my twitter bot, CharBotGreen had been suspended as a phisher, and tonight I find I’ve been suspended from twitter too. This is a bit of a blow, and the cause in both cases seems to be that I linked to my blog.

Using Google webmaster tools I discovered that several pages had links to viagra etc pages on them, invisible except in the source, with html inserted through the header php. Firefox and Safari made it difficult to find this out by inserting buggy ‘this is a phisher’ text (with broken links) over the source as well as the page itself.

I’ve now moved off Dreamhost completely – though it might have been simply that I had not updated WordPress enough. I’m on wordpress.com now, so I hope that’ll remove this riskiness.

The whole episode has made me rather depressed. Google has basically killed my online identity. I’m on various lists asking to be taken off, but there’s been no movement since last night, and I had no warning. It seems that there’s a blacklist being used in both cases, not competely sure what it is yet.

Anyway, if it happens to you, take it seriously and deal with it as soon as you can.

Update: I’m actually not on google’s suspended list any more. Hurrah! But still no Twitter. Guess it’s time to move to Identica with that and the madness of #fixreplies. Meh!

2nd Update: I got my Twitter account back this morning (2nd June, 3 days later). CharBotGreen is still suspended.

Useful links:

Google – My Site’s been hacked
Google webmaster tools
Google apps admin page: Google MX Records

iPhone working with PoGo

I’m so chuffed about this –

I bought a Polaroid PoGo inkless bluetooth mini sticker printer having been entranced by psd’s one, but knowing it didn’t work with the iPhone and that I’d have to get my laptop out to print anything. The PoGo is a lovely toy but I was getting a bit irritated by this limitation. The problem was twofold:

  •  iPhone bluetooth is crippled – you can only use bluetooth headphones, and not use it for file transfer. Annoying.
  • iPhone stores pictures as (peculiar) pngs and PoGo only accepts jpegs (which I found by trial and error – I can’t find any PoGo docs on that at all)

The first issue was easily solved – I have a jailbroken 1st gen phone and I just installed iBluetooth with Cydia, which is a app installer based on .deb packages.

The second was more tricky. I looked at ImageMagick for iphone (it’s on Cydia) but didn’t get anywhere. I think I needed to install gcc which was a step too far. Instead I put ssh on it (pretty cool in itself), found some hints on the web, and found that iPhone actually creates jpgs as well as pngs (in /private/var/mobile/media/DCIM/100APPLE – the pngs are in /private/var/mobile/media/DCIM/999APPLE). Weird! Anyway, iBluetooth allows you to browse the filesystem, and send files you find there, and that worked.

So all you really need is iBluetooth as it turns out. Hope this is useful to someone.