- Archers Avoider
- SVG D3.js bar chart
- Connecting a Wifly shield to an Arduino
- Nanode / twitter blink example
- A node.js bot in XMPP
- Archiving a Mediawiki Installation
- Web [on|and|in|for|with|via|through] TV Workshop
- Some FOAF stats
- Displaying Guardian book reviews for quick buying on Amazon
- Generating specs from RDFS / OWL docs
- April 2013
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- October 2010
- September 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- November 2008
- October 2008
- January 2008
- February 2007
- May 2006
- April 2006
- March 2006
- February 2006
- November 2005
- October 2005
- September 2005
- July 2005
- May 2005
- April 2005
- March 2005
- February 2005
- January 2005
- December 2004
- November 2004
- October 2004
- September 2004
- August 2004
- July 2004
- June 2004
- April 2004
- March 2004
- February 2004
- December 2003
- October 2003
- September 2003
- August 2003
- July 2003
Monthly Archives: February 2004
iSync kept bumming out on me when trying to sync my calendar on my P800 with ical. It seemed to get all the items from the phone, merge them ok but then fail with a comment like ‘could not connect to p800 please check the pairing with this computer’.
This Apple document sorted out the problem for me – I didn’t even get to the stage of rebooting the computer. It seems to be curable by removing and re-adding the phone from devices to sync. Next: turn all my calendars to RDF and put them up somewhere.
Oh, powerbook users may need the bluetooth firmware upgrade.
I decided to set up moblogging on planB (a movable type weblog), inspired bydanbri’s typepad one. There are probably better ways of doing it…Joi Ito has a moblogging resources page that might be useful.
I fooled around a bit with Joi Ito’s python script but didn’t know enough python to be bothered to debug the error I got (it was Saturday):
sh:~/moblog/mail2entry-2002-12-25$ cat 416D0264.jpg | python /home/libby/moblog/mail2entry-2002-12-25/mail2entry.py test /home/libby/moblog/mail2entry-2002-12-25/mail2entry.py:8: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level def main(): Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/libby/moblog/mail2entry-2002-12-25/mail2entry.py", line 50, in ? main() File "/home/libby/moblog/mail2entry-2002-12-25/mail2entry.py", line 43, in main return result UnboundLocalError: local variable 'result' referenced before assignment
Another guy had the same problem but no solution.
So then I tried Dav Coleman’s perl version. It requires XMLRPC::Lite and MIME::Explode; they were both on the system I was using. I commented out the japanese text bits and the system calls to java etc.
I have an account that can recieve mail on the same machine as my blog. I don’t know whether it needs to be – the perl program uses XMLPRC to post to the blog.
So, in order, this is what I did.
- created an email alias on the machine. I could have used my default one, but figured better to make it a bit more secret. Just knowing the mail address wouldn’t allow anyone else to post though.
- got the perl prgram, made sure XMLRPC::Lite and MIME::Explode were installed
- edited out the ‘system’ calls and japanese bits I didn’t need
with help from shellac, installed procmail and wrote a .procmailrc file in my home directory:
:0: * ^FROM: .*theemailaddrfrommyphone |/home/libby/moblog/perl/blogpost.pl
- set up a new username and password for my blog and found out a bunch of information I needed
created .blogpostrc file in my home fdirectory, looking like this (following the instructions in the perl file)
blogurl = http://planb.nicecupoftea.org blogxmlrpc = http://rdfweb.org/mtcgi/mt-xmlrpc.cgi blogimgurl = http://planb.nicecupoftea.org/archives/images subdir = default output_dir = /usr/local/apache/htdocs/archives/images bloguser = username blogpass = pwd blogid = 5 defaulttitle = new post from cell phone defaultbody = defaultcategory = 28
- tested it by mailing myself a picture from my phone
Fiddling with the actual perl code (to process text atachments), it was easier just to pipe a saved message to procmail manually: cat msg | procmail
And bingo – it worked. I’m going to set up a new blog specicically for pictures. And then I want to be able to parse RDF somehow out of the text attachments.